Not sure about something? Have a look at the FAQ below. Feel free to email me if you are still not sure.

Where can I get married?

     You can get married anywhere in Australia. A church, home, restaurant, beach, garden: anywhere is possible. You may need to get permits from the relevant local authorities.

When can I get married?

     You can get married at any time, providing one month's notice has been given. In some very limited cases, this month's notice can be waived. For example,  if you accept a job overseas in a country which does not allow unmarried couples to live together you may need to bring your wedding date closer. Your celebrant will guide you through the process if you need to apply for a shortening of notice. 

Can I get married today?

     You can only get married if you have provided one month's notice to your celebrant. If you need to apply for a shortening of this notice period, see your celebrant. 

What paperwork is involved?

     At least one month before your wedding date, you need to complete and lodge a Notice of Indended Marriage with your celebrant. You will need to provide evidence of your birth, such as an original birth certificate or a passport. Other evidence of identity may be required. 

     Once this is lodged with your celebrant, then there is a declaration to be made shortly before the wedding, stating that there is no impediment to your marriage.

     Finally, at your wedding, there are three certificates to sign: one for you, one for Births, Deaths and Marriages to register your marriage, and one for your celebrant to keep. 

     Your celebrant will provide and manage this paperwork, and guide you through any problems that you have with this paperwork. 

What ID do you need to see?

     Your celebrant will need to see an original birth certificate or passport for each of you. They may also need photo ID (such as a drivers' licence), and evidence of dissolution of any previous marriages. 

Who can be a witness?

     Any person who is over 18 years of age. They can be a relative, a friend, or someone you would like to include in your ceremony. 

Do you have to say that bit about marriage being a man and a woman?

     During your wedding, the celebrant must say the following passage, called the Monitum;


"I am duly authorised by law to solemnise marriages according to law.


Before you are joined in marriage in my presence, and in the presence of these witnesses, I am to remind you of the solemn and binding nature of the relationship into which you are now about to enter.


Marriage, according to law in Australia, is the union of a man and a woman, to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life."


This may be offensive to you or your guests, but the marriage will not be valid without it. A statement before or afterwards can be made to clarify why it is there. 



Please reload